Meatless Monday

Posted by Chelsie on Monday, March 21, 2011. Filed under: ,

Some time ago, the hubby decided that we should give pescatarianism a shot. For no other reason than he wanted to eat more healthy stuff and less junk and felt he needed some set guidelines to hold himself to it. Now, I love me some fish and I love me some veggies so I was 100% on board with it.

And we did pretty well. For about a week or so. But for whatever reason, I had the hardest time coming up with easy and delicious vegetarian or seafood dishes every. single. day. It felt like we were eating the same meal over and over. And, let's be honest, fish doesn't typically make for great leftovers and we're kind of a leftovers-for-lunch-the-next-day type of family. So I started throwing a little meat back in the mix. Long story short, it wasn't but a minute before we were eating meat with almost all of our meals again.

Anyway, after our failed attempt at pescatarianism, I instituted what I like to call "Meatless Mondays." As the name implies, once a week, we make an effort to eat a vegetarian dinner. (Not quite as lofty as our original goal, but it helps us to eat a bit healthier!) As such, I'm always on the lookout for tasty new vegetarian recipes. The other day I stumbled across this one for Quinoa and Black Beans:

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped 

3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped 
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Directions
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.

2. Add bell pepper and saute for a minute more.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with chicken broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.


I modified it a tiny bit by adding the bell pepper and upping the amount of corn. Next time, I'll probably double the quinoa too.

Serves four.



No Responses to Meatless Monday

Leave a Reply