Best. Tacos. Evah.

Posted by Chelsie on Monday, March 7, 2011. Filed under: ,

Last week was insane with daily after-work commitments for both me and the hubby. So I deemed it "Week of the Crock Pot." Every morning but Friday I used my extra 20 minutes to throw a little something in the slow cooker. Even though it was a super crazy few days, I took the opportunity to try out a couple of new recipes, one of which was a variation of a Real Simple recipe for Chipotle Beef Tacos.

So let's be honest: I love tacos and could probably eat them daily. Over the years, I've made countless taco recipes, including a few in the slow cooker. But last week I experienced shredded beef tacos the way they were meant to be: both easy and delicious. Seriously, these tacos were so good that, even though we just had them last Thursday, I made them again today. Since we had the leftovers for lunch on on Friday, it's only been three days since we last ate this dish. I'll let that sink in.

Chipotle Beef Tacos

Ingredients:
1.5 - 2 pound flat iron steak cut into two inch pieces (I enjoyed this cut - it's lean but still really tender. Also, my grocer was running a special.)
1 small onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can chipotles in adobo sauce (I used about 3-4 of the peppers, chopped, and about 4 teaspoons of the adobo sauce - but get as crazy as want!)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 teasppon salt
12 corn tortillas (I like using the small ones and doubling up on them street taco-style)


Optional toppings:
small bag of pre-shredded cabbage (one of the shortcuts I've mentioned loving)
diced onion
chopped fresh cilantro
lime wedges
jalapeno relish (if you're lucky, you have a neighbor who makes killer jalapeno relish like mine does)


Directions:
1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, toss together the beef, onion, garlic, chopped chipotles, adobo sauce, oregano, bay leaves, and salt
2. Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 ½ to 4 hours (personally, I set my Crock Pot to cook on low for 4 hours, after which it switched to "Keep Warm" for another eight or so hours before I made it home)


When it's time to eat:

1. Transfer beef mixture to a medium bowl and shred (leave behind excess "juice," unless you're into that sort of thing)
2. Heat tortillas
3. Spoon beef mixture into warm tortillas and add toppings of your choice


Serves 4. Makes good leftovers. (I may have even said to KT that they were better the second time around...)


FYI - To streamline my morning, I chopped the onion, garlic and beef last night and stored them in plastic bags in the refrigerator. I set out the can of chipotles and dried spices before I went to bed, leaving only the chopping of the chipotles for this morning. It seriously took me less than 5 minutes to get everything into the crock pot and get on with my routine.

I encourage you to make this super simple taco recipe right this very minute. You'll be enjoying it in mere hours. Go ahead. I'll wait. Tell me what you think.


P.S. Are you sick of my use of parentheses yet? After this post, I am. Almost.

No Responses to Best. Tacos. Evah.

Leave a Reply