She's Crafty

Posted by Chelsie on Thursday, August 18, 2011. Filed under:

Since I started the new full time job and decided to take a break from the side business, I have a lot more time on my hands. Not that you'd know it by how infrequently I post! I've used the time to catch up on some things around the house, do a couple projects and sleep in. ('Cause this girl has some serious trouble getting up in the morning. Remember the 20x20? How could we forget that annoying little adventure?)


The first project I decided to conquer was organizing all of my necklaces and earrings. I'd had an idea in mind for some time but never could find the time to put it into action. That is until recently. A friend gave me an unpainted frame that she wasn't using and I immediately realized that it was perfect for my jewelry organizer project! So I ran to the hardware store and picked up the necessary supplies.


Materials List
Picture frame
Spray paint
Cardboard or foam core board
Fabric 
Window screen
Cup hooks
Saw tooth hangers
Hot glue gun
Stapler
Small nails


Directions

  1. Prime frame if necessary
  2. Apply several light coats of paint to achieve a smooth, dripless finish
  3. At the same time, paint to cup hooks if you want them to be the same color as your frame
  4. Finish frame with a high gloss lacquer if you wish
  5. Allow to dry for 24 - 48 hours
  6. Meanwhile, cut cardboard to fit your picture frame (leave a couple of millimeters to account for the fabric and screen)
  7. Stretch your fabric tight over the front of the board
  8. Using a hot glue gun, adhere your fabric to the back of the board (you don't want the hot glue to show through on the front)
  9. Then, stretch the screen tight over the front of the board
  10. Staple the screen to board all the way around (on the back and very close to the edges - don't want the staples to show!)
  11. If your frame doesn't already have a hanging mechanism, install saw tooth hangers 
  12. Screw the cup hooks into the front of your frame (I opted to do five along the bottom for shorter necklaces and one at each top corner for longer necklaces)
  13. Insert wrapped board into frame opening and use small nails to secure it
  14. Hang


Voila! Now your jumble of necklaces and earrings is organized and in reach.







No Responses to She's Crafty

Leave a Reply