An Introduction of Sorts

Posted by Chelsie on Thursday, February 10, 2011. Filed under: , ,

There are many things that you'll learn about me. One of those is that I'm a sucker for recipes with few ingredients. I have neither the time nor counter space to dedicate to lots of "stuff." This recipe is quick, easy and delicious and has just ten ingredients (if you don't count the salt and pepper) almost all of which I usually have on hand (and three of which are cheese!!!): 

Easy Baked Ziti with Spinach:

Ingredients:
10 ounces ziti
1/2 pound ground turkey (or lean ground beef, if you're so inclined)
6 ounce bag baby spinach
24 ounce jar marinara sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup ricotta
1/2 cup grated parmesan (divided)
handful (or two!) shredded mozzarella
salt and pepper, to taste


Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cook ziti according to package directions (approximately 10-12 minutes, depending on brand)
3. Heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent (approximately 5 minutes)
4. Add beef, salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 or 6 minutes until no longer pink
5. About the time the meat is done, the pasta should be too.  Drain pasta
6. Before returning to pasta to the pot, add spinach, meat and onions, ricotta and 1/2 of the parmesan to the pot.  Add the steaming hot pasta and toss
7. Transfer to 9"x13" baking dish.  Top with mozzarella and remaining parmesan
8. Bake for 12 minutes at 400 or until cheese is melted



Serves four to six. Makes good leftovers. 

Ta-da!
I like that the recipe utilizes spinach and doesn't call for a ton of meat. To "healthy it up" even more, sub whole grain pasta for the regular variety and use low-fat versions of all the cheeses.

A few other things you will learn about me:
1. If there's a shortcut, I'll usually - but not always - take it
2. I'm habitually 5 minutes late every where I go (I'm working on it, I promise)
3. According to my husband, most of my recipes start with "pour glass of wine, take sip"

No Responses to An Introduction of Sorts

Leave a Reply